This position supports the Senior Property Manager of the Little Rock Housing Authority (“LRHA” or “Agency”) by overseeing all property management functions (occupancy and leasing, maintenance and upkeep, resident relations, security and fiscal administration) for assigned site(s). This position is responsible for ensuring that the administration of the property is compliant with all applicable Agency policies and procedures, HUD regulations, federal, state and local laws, and all Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity requirements. All activities must support LRHA’s mission, strategic goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervises the operation and maintenance of assigned site(s), consistent with overall Agency quality, occupancy, cost, and revenue goals; ensures that assigned site(s) are maintained in decent, safe, and sanitary condition at all times; organizes assigned work; develops effective work methods that comply with Agency expectations; and partners with internal and external resources to maintain high levels of property performance and standards.
- Prepares long- and short-term strategic plans for the assigned site(s).
- Directly supervises Assistant Property Manager and Working Foreman for assigned site(s); establishes meaningful job objectives for subordinate staff and monitors the accomplishment of those objectives; participates in hiring property staff, establishes performance standards, conducts periodic performance evaluations, delivers or recommends disciplinary action up to and including suspensions, conducts staff meetings, approves annual and sick leave, and monitors absences.
- Motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner and mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
- Receives and processes applications for occupancy and maintains waitlist in a manner consistent with Agency policies, procedures and applicable regulations.
- Screens, verifies and determines the eligibility and suitability of all applicants for housing in accordance with Agency policy, procedures and applicable regulations.
- Accurately calculates initial rent and utility allowances.
- Ensures full compliance in the areas of leasing, recertification, work order completion (emergency, routine), timely rent collection, budget adherence, day-to-day procedural issues, and lease administration.
- Oversees the timely lease up of vacant units, rent collection, and recertification; conducts lease-up and orientation of new tenants; and ensures the adherence to established policies for the enforcement of leases and collection of all rent and other receivables due to the Agency.
- Monitors and enforces resident compliance with the lease in a manner that establishes and sustains a positive living environment for all residents.
- Initiates evictions for lease violations in compliance with Agency policies and applicable federal and state laws.
- Conducts and ensures completion of move-out inspections in a timely manner and accurately calculates charges against security deposits.
- Submits monthly and annual reports on property performance, compliance issues (if any), financial management, crimes, personnel issues, and lease terminations and enforcement activity.
- Prepares site specific operating budgets, ensuring that all site conditions and needs are met in accordance with asset-based budgeting and administration.
- Maximizes the property’s income and minimizes expenditures consistent with preservation of the physical plan.
- Monitors the property’s cash flow; tracks monthly and year-to-day expenditures, making or recommending adjustments as needed.
- Purchases goods and services only when needed, when procurement policies have been followed, and when funding permits.
- Develops inspection schedules for the grounds and buildings with the maintenance supervisor to identify areas that need improvement; and provides direction and assistance in developing measurable plans of action for accomplishing the work.
- Inspects buildings and grounds regularly taking appropriate notes of deficiencies to be shared with building maintenance staff to ensure full compliance within a prescribed time frame.
- Provides the necessary support and guidance to subordinate staff by taking the appropriate enforcement measures.
- Identifies safety and security risks to property and residents, and recommends, develops and/or implements plans to reduce or eliminate those risks.
- Monitors the performance of security services to ensure provision of services consistent with contracts and service standards.
- Reports and track incidents of crime in accordance with Agency policies and procedures.
- Maintains clear and consistent communication with outside agencies, tenant groups, and internal Agency departments.
- Participates in the capital planning and redevelopment process, as needed.
- Maintains tenant files in compliance with HUD and NHA requirements.
- Handles all issues pertaining to the resident body; establishes and maintains positive relations by interacting with residents through formal and informal meetings, and through oral, telephonic and written communications.
- Administers informal resident grievance process in accordance with Agency policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
Responsiveness and Accountability (30% of competency evaluation): Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one’s own work; does fair share of work. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Will not ignore a problem, even if it is not one’s direct responsibility
- Anticipates and acts to avoid a future problem
- Reacts quickly and positively to customer and co-worker inquiries
- Puts the highest priority on accomplishing objectives
- Demonstrates flexibility in balancing job responsibilities and the ability to deal with change
- Puts success of team above own interests and willingly assists others to succeed or complete tasks when needed
- Demonstrates high-level of adaptability and willingness to help as needed
- Takes responsibility for one’s own actions
- Ensures fair share of work is completed
- Appropriately shares credit for work and ideas with co-workers and subordinates
- Understands the importance of timeliness and accuracy in the workplace
- Maintains a satisfactory attendance record and is consistently punctual
- Focuses on work-related activities and acts in ways which support mission and goals of the Agency
Leadership (25%): Provides direction by clearly and effectively setting course of action for department and subordinates; manages performance by providing regular feedback and reinforcement to subordinates. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Makes expectations clear
- Establishes a manageable workload
- Accomplishes long-term objectives by planning and taking the necessary steps
- Keeps focus on big picture while implementing details
- Provides consistent and continuous feedback of work performance
- Positively reinforces desired outcomes
- Recognizes performance on a timely basis
- Conducts performance reviews on time and provides complete and constructive feedback
- Deals with sub-par performance effectively, sensitively and on a timely basis
Customer Service (20%): Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands, monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes working colleagues as customers. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Treats customers with courtesy and concern; responds promptly, professionally and politely
- Anticipates what customer wants, and works to provide it
- Initiates action/response to customer complaint/inquiry
- Responds in a timely, effective manner, even if just following-up
- Considers every customer interaction as important
- Always delivers on customer commitments; measures performance
- Translates customer information to others in the organization with a need to know
- Ensures that consultation, products and services delivered address the customer’s needs by asking customer for feedback
Effective Communication (15%): Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; listens effectively. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Willingly shares information
- Recognizes important information and ensures that others that need to know are informed.
- Clearly and concisely expresses ideas and concepts orally and in writing
- Listens openly and non-judgmentally
- Expresses disagreement tactfully and sensitively
- Summarizes input, then checks for understanding
- Listens without interrupting
- Uses correct grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Maintains eye contact when speaking
- Thinks through main ideas that he/she is trying to express
- Ensures information is accurate; stops rumors from spreading
Commitment (10% of competency evaluation): Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Takes initiative to make things happen
- Maintains positive “can-do” attitude; successfully meets or exceeds goals
- Demonstrates dedication to and understanding of the mission of the organization
- Contributes to a positive team spirit
- Takes ownership of issues and problems, even when originating in other areas
- Consistently demonstrates effort to meet and exceed internal/external client expectations
- Overcomes obstacles to complete projects/tasks successfully
- Continuously improves own performance standards and results
- Makes specific changes in work processes to improve performance
- Learns and applies new information quickly
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, housing management or similar field; and a minimum of 3 years experience in housing management; or equivalent combination of education and experience. License or certification: CPM or ARM from IREM (Required) Tax Credit Experience required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals that are generally error free. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Individual should possess strong computer skills (MS Word, MS Outlook, MS Excel) and should be capable of using general office equipment, i.e. fax machines, copiers, etc.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must be certified in Property Management, Rent Calculations and Inspections.
- Valid Arkansas Driver’s License, and insurable by LRHA carrier.
- Must be bondable.
- Must be able to pass drug screening, and must not have a history of drug-related or violent criminal activity.
Other Skills and Abilities
Must be knowledgeable of HUD regulations governing occupancy and administration of public housing as well as all federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations related to fair housing and landlord/tenant law. Should be familiar with general financial policies and terms. Must have basic accounting skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Generally office environment with frequent visits to assigned site(s) for inspections and unit showings. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Participates in the capital planning and redevelopment process, as needed. Administers informal resident grievance process in accordance with Agency policies and procedures.
Other assigned duties
Equal Opportunity Employer